[LMB] RE: Betan Military

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:11:07 -0600

On Friday, December 21, 2001, at 12:19 PM, POUNCER wrote:

> Steve Knott <Steve.Knott at daedalic.com> wrote:
>
>> um ... not really ... well there's the combat ships that
>> Cordelia's  ship counterfeited, but its not clear ...
>> no textevd  against either.
>
> Doesn't that whole bit sort of suggest that
> there were real ships, warships or otherwise,
> which had attempted to "force" or "run" the
> wormhole, but had been caught or destroyed
> by Barrayaran blockade?

Hmm... interesting.  One thing it does prove is that Beta HAS
battleships of that class.  Because they're way too big to hide, so even
if Jane's doesn't list them, ImpSec would.  If they don't exist, the
Barrayarans wouldn't believe the decoys.  It's not like decoys are
impossible by any other means.  (Full scale models?)

<snip an argument I don't follow>

>  Right!  Which is probably the reason the Betan's came up
>> with the plasma  mirror trap, deployed that new technology
>> the way they did  (a big risk  BTW - lots of opportunity
>> for Murphy to bolux that plan)
>
> I suspect the Betans didn't really think it would
> work, hence the new uniforms for the big newly
> built up BEF.  And, that the plan, and
> Cordelia,  surprised everybody by suceeding
> is part of the reason she got such hero-worship
> (and uncomfortable scrutiny) upon her liberation.

Hmm... possible, but I think the value of the plasma mirror is more than
her operation if it wasn't expected to succeed.

Andrew