[LMB] Re: While we're making suggestions...

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:48:37 -0500

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Jim Toth wrote:

#http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1f32o5h.kmobn7by3opiN%25kmorgan@aptalaska.net
#
#(My, that's long, but I don't think I can get it any shorter.  Darned
#programs putting %'s in message IDs!)

Don't blame the program, blame the sites and webmasters that put weird
characters into URIs. If you see "%20" it means somebody has put a
blank, yes, an ASCII SPACE character, into a URI. The (Webwide?)
standard is to replace all potentially troublesome characters with '%'
followed by their two-byte hexadecimal code. The percent sign itself
is represented in the same way, and it comes out "%25".

-- Mark M.