[LMB] Vorkosigan House

Dan Tilque dtilque at nwlink.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:39:03 -0800

[Since this is on topic, I'm moving it to the new list server.]

From: "Andrew Lambdin-Abraham" <andrew at firehead.org>

> obBujold:  What is Vorkosigan House made of structurally, and
> was it wired for anything when built?  Ww know it now has secure
> comconsoles, but they were probably installed during the Regency.
> There was a lift installed when Cordelia was pregnant.  But was
> it built with electricity, or was that added later?
>
> My grandparents house is some 200 years old, and has had running
> water, heating, and electricity added over the years all fairly
> successfully.  Did Vorkosigan House have that from the start or
> was it added later?

At the time of ACC, Vorkosigan House was also about 200 years old,
which means it was built some 90 years or so BETOI*. It may or may
not originally have had water and sewers, but certainly didn't have
electricity.

Another thing that should have been added somewhere along the way is
a fire suppression system (sprinklers or something). Old houses with
wood framework are firetraps without them.

--
Dan Tilque

* BETOI = Before the End of the ToI.