[LMB] Plant names (was Re: a new subject tag for "Lois, don't read this"??)

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:20:15 -0500

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 icewolf01 at att.net wrote:

#Diane wrote, responding to Mark's fear of trodding on
#Lois's literary toes:
#>
#> So I say, throw 'em out and let us talk about them!
#> We really need some on-topic threads....
#
#Hear, hear!
#
#So, what do we think the Barrayaran equivalent of wooly
#ragwort is?

Well, I thought of these:
 - numbwort
 - false garlic
 - deadman's cabbage. This and the one above presumably resemble their
Terran namesakes but are, of course, disappointing, in the latter case
catastrophically so.
 - willyweed, aka rusalka's fingers. It grows in fresh water, mostly
or entirely under the surface, and has long thin leaves that can wrap
around things (native aquatic life, fishing lines, swimmers) and trap
them. This is not accidental: it draws much of its nourishment from
the decaying bodies of Barrayaran "fish" and such. (The rusalka or
wili is a Slavic legendary waternymph that would entice men to their
deaths, iirc. Corrections welcomed.)
 - tan-my-hide
 - toothbush. Note that there's no "r" in the name; it's extremely
thorny.

-- Mark M.