[LMB] Re: Digest length

Melanie Dymond Harper mel at vanyel.herald.co.uk
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:00:49 GMT

> The new lists digests seem to be much shorter than the
> old lists digests. On the old list each digest was about
> 38k (range from about 34k to about 45k) On the new list
> digest length has been much shorter, averaging less than
> 15k (#2 - 6 were 19k, 4k, 21k, 24k, 16k).
>
> Can we set the digest length a bit longer perhaps? Shorter
> digests mean more messages per day, if I wanted more messages
> per day I wouldn't be on the digest. OTOH shorter digest
> do mean that I get to here from you all more often and
> with less lag so it's not all bad.

Mailman does digests very slightly differently to the way Listproc did.
Both are set to send out a digest at the 30k mark, but Listproc would then
reset its clock so it wouldn't send out another digest until a full day had
passed -- assuming that another 30k of stuff hadn't come in first. (Very
unusual. ;)) Mailman will, however, send out a new digest at the same time
(noon UK time) each day even if there isn't 30k worth in it yet, no matter
when the last one was sent out. Hence the occasional shorter digest.

That said, I am not sure how it's counting 30k but from the looks of the
lengths above it may not be in the same way I would ;) I will bump up the
nominal length to 40k and see if that helps.

Mel