[LMB] Plant names

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:47:02 -0500

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, James M. BRYANT, G4CLF wrote:

#Mark Mandel suggests "Numbwort".
#
#There are resonances with Anne McCaffrey's
#"Numbweed" on Pern.
#
#Were they intentional?

Not as far as I know. I am not a great Pern fan and have read only a
few of the books, and those a long time ago.

#So far we have seen NO uses for native
#Barrayaran plants - I find this unlikely.

Someone else suggested a positive use, in making a poultice for use as
a local anesthetic. That seemed possible to me, but it wasn't what I
had in mind originally.  I was originally thinking vaguely of some
plant that you touch or brush against in passing and discover that
your hand (or whatever part touched it) has gone numb. There might
also be other unpleasant effects.

-- Mark M.