[LMB] Re: OT: holidays

Robert Parks rparks at lvhot.org
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 14:28:16 -0800

Steve Knott wrote:

> Greetings!
> and Happy Holidays to all!
> (Christmas for me ... hmmm ... odd considering I'm not one ... well not
> officially ... habit perhaps? ... Oh well ... a foolish consistency and
> all that ... besides it's a holiday and I _don't_ want to think about
> things that make my head hurt!)

I'm also slightly amused that I am the only Muni surface[1] operator
(apparently) with lighted/active decorations on my bus.  Innumerable
Merry Christmases and accusations of Holiday Spirit, etc. when I'm not,
really.  I'm not really sure why I do it...no that's not true...a
passenger reminded me Xmas Eve why I do it...or at least why I started
doing it.  After the obligatory "You are the only one who...", he
mentioned how years ago there was a driver on the 8-Market (discontinued
years ago), used to dress up as Santa on a decorated bus.  And then
wondered what had happened to him, "I suppose he's retired now."  I, of
course, remember Ron Arvin, one of the truly great people that I have
known, a talented bus driver and all around nice person, gone these many
years now, taken from us as so many gay men were.  His last service at
the Railway was as Santa on 776, seated on a throne in the back with
another Santa driving[2].  I told the passenger how retired Ron was and
we chatted til his stop.

Rather than staying home and doing stuff that needs doing[4], I think I
will take all my Xmas stuff over the yard and stage some pictures.  I
just got a new digital camera and the pictures I took in service are
sadly lacking.

Robert

[1] I haven't been around the subway lately, but it is much easier for
them, since they have regular plugs on the vehicles.  I have to get a
little more elaborate, from the plug[3] to the inverter to convert the
12VDC for the (obsolete) farebox light.

[2] Neither of the Christmas buses that Muni owns have been in service
since Ron passed away, lacking the motivation, they are sitting in the
yard mouldering.

[3]
http://lvhot.org/hartlock.htm

[4] clean up room, do carpentry, organize stuff for going out of town
New Year's Day.  Ick.