[LMB] RE: Betan Military

Richard Macdonald rmacdonald at microd.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 05:05:00 -0500

"Robert A. Woodward" wrote:

> IIRC, "the thin red line" is older than Kipling. I have a vague
> recollection that it is actually a Battle of Waterloo reference and it
> alluded to the English tactical doctrine on how how many ranks of infantry
> they had when in a line formation (the British Army used fewer ranks than
> most continental armies - thiner and longer lines combined with faster
> reload rates due to more training resulted in more firepower).

No, the Thin red line is a slight modification of the description of the
Highlanders stand against the Russian Dragoons at Balaclava (1855) in
the Crimean War, by I believe Alfred Lord Tennyson. The highlanders
broke with the Napoleonic tradition and stayed in line and used the
longer range of the Minnie Rifles to break the Russians charge before it
could reach their line. This was about the first time Infantry in line
had broken a full regimental plus cavalry charge by fire alone.

A red line tipped with steel.

He also wrote poems about the charge of the (british) Heavy brigade and
the most famous being of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
--
Richard A. Macdonald, CPA/EA
SSG (Ret), USA, ADA 16P34