[LMB] OT: LOTR

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:22:33 -0800

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 10:36:13PM -0600, Louann Miller wrote:

> certain of that. Movie-Aragorn does have Hamlety angst moments about
> kingship that Book-Aragorn lacks, but Book-Aragorn has angsty moments too.

Movie-A has them ahead of time, brooding over repeating Isildur's
mistake, and Movie-Elrond implies Aragorn turned away from taking the
kingship of Gondor.  Book-A broods somewhat after major disasters,
including losing Gandalf in Moria, but I don't find that he broods much.

> Arwen, the gracefully handled parting with Frodo -- but my favorite is on
> Weathertop when he's fighting the Nazgul. He may have doubts about
> kingship, but golly he likes hacking and slashing bad guys.

Which itself is a gross simplification of Tokien's Aragorn, and a role
better suited for Boromir.  Aragorn is a King, as Denethor and Faramir
are Stewards; they are warriors as needed, not for the love of battle.
(Faramir had the best lines on this topic.)

-xx- Damien X-)