[LMB] Stunners, needleguns, plasma arcs, etc

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:28:25 -0600

On Saturday, December 29, 2001, at 09:11 PM, Pouncer at aol.com wrote:

> Nerve disruptors, too, seem to be rather
> imprecise.  Cordelia got caught in a "splashed"
> field and numbed her thigh, permanently.
> The logic of hostage/villain doesn't apply, but...
> The effect Aral mentions, of one armed man
> intimidating a crowd, is rather counter-availed
> by an overly-precise strike zone.

I think I agree with you in sentiment, but I believe Aral's commentary
was more in defense of lethal threats than nerve disruptors per se.  He
could apply the same logic to a sword, an Uzi, or a nerve disruptor.
For that matter, a single shot pistol would have the same effect.  "It's
true I can only kill one of you, but which one?  Any volunteers?"

Also, I think you need to keep in mind that diffused beams will
naturally be weaker than concentrated ones, which could have a
significant effect on range or firing capacity.  So I'd suspect that
they are more concentrated than crowd control would suggest, especially
as in many situations the ability to fire more shots is vital.

Holovid Scene: You're facing your opponent down a hallway, with both of
you armed with stunners and hiding around corners.  You blaze back and
forth, missing each time.  Your clever opponent is counting the shots,
not realizing that you've secretly narrowed your beam enough to fit an
extra charge at 'full stun' in that he doesn't know about.

Of course counting shots is stupid, but this is holovids.

Andrew