[LMB] OT: [Harry] Potter fanfic ideas

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:20:37 -0700

>From: "Lois McMaster Bujold" <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
>
>LMB] PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
>
> >From: Azalais Malfoy <tiamat at tsoft.com>
>
> >I don't need any more!  But thanks anyway.  I have more plot bunnies than
> >I know what to do with.  I just found out that Riddle is an Irish
> >Traveller name.
> >

>THAT adds dimension to Tom's fierce rejection of his father and his
>father's
>name!
>
>     OK... so what's the meaning of "Irish Traveller", in this context?
>
>     Curious, L.
>--

The Irish Travellers are a group of people who live like gypsies but are not
Romany, and who in this country have made themselves a name for home repair
scams. They are neither glamorous nor respectable, and Riddle is a lad of
much pride. How they're seen across the pond is a matter for conjecture, but
I remember a movie triggered by an Irish hospital's refusal to admit a
Traveller woman and her subsequent death, which sends her widower into the
bottle. I imagine in England the stigma is even worse, since the Irish are
apparently not well seen in that country.