[LMB] RE: OT: Traveller Movie

Susan Profit tinne at eskimo.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:30:42 -0800 (PST)

Pat, I think the one you are thinking of is "Into the West."
I do not know how accurate it is in the depiction of the modern Irish
Travellers since it mostly focuses on the children and a mysterious
white stalliion rather than the adults.

One of the stories told by the grandfather figure is the story of
Ossian, one of the heroes of Irish Mythic Lore, and that too is a
subtext of the plot when you remember one of the children is named for
him and this is a journey on horseback they undertake.

It has some very solid mythological basis in the Horse/Sea Goddesses
of the British Isles also as a subtext, beginning and ending with the
white horse that no one seems to know where it came from and everyone
wants to take away from the sons of the woman who died (who are
riding it across country.) The horse takes the boys to the woman's
grave, and along with it her husband who finally grieves her death.

And it is in answer to the ernest prayer of a truly good man who is
trying to help that the sea saves a child from drowning - but whether
you see his mother, the Goddess, the horse, the Faerie Queen or a
hallucination is up to each viewer. It stars Gabriel Byrne.

Sound like the same movie? One of my recent favorites, actually one I
own, which is why the plot is fiarly fresh in my mind.

Susan in Seattle