[LMB] Re: OT: James's house plans

Paula S. Sanch tygerbryght at myrealbox.com
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 02:42:28 -0600

A *very* late resp, although the topic hasn't died.

A buncha people have suggested dogs (and cats, etc.).
Although James mentioned a cat door in one resp, he has
said repeatedly on the list that, while he likes cats
and is friendly with the cats who own friends of his,
he is not a cat person.  He has shared domiciles with
cats before, including at Newbury.  However.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. <Spock eyebrows>
And much suppressed comment. :D

He does really like dogs, but he has also said many times
(though I don't recall if on list) that he will NOT have a
dog while he continues to hold a job that keeps him away
from home.  I think this is both the intelligent and the
humane approach, as dogs are subject to all sorts of physical
and emotional problems if left alone.  I suspect that his
ideas about other kinds of (especially non-mammalian)
critters are like his ideas about cats, only more so.
His love for eating fowl is much more acute than his love
for petting them.  [And before anyone suggests birds to me,
let me advise you that I'm *seriously* allergic to feathers.
I don't even visit homes where a bird is kept in a room
where I might be expected to enter, and I make sure I've
got an inhaler in my purse before going anyplace where
they're even on the premises.  Feathers are the *only*
think I know for sure sets off asthma attacks for me.]

One of James's student jobs while he was "at university"
(as the British say - don't ever say "at college" to a
Brit who went to a university; they'll cream ya) was a night
watchman.  He patrolled with Dobermans, and learned to
love them.  I suspect that, when he retires, he will
acquire one.  I approve; Dobies are big babies (unless
indoctrinated otherwise), and generally very sweet.  Not
as nice as Danes, IMO, but very well.  He has made noises
of that sort from time to time, and I can readily visualize
him with a Dobe.

Oh, yes, to revert back to the house specs.  I think
everybody now knows that James will be 60 this week. :)
The parent he lives with is 93(? 94?).  James is also a
very proud grandparent.  I would be more than astonished
if he ever remarries to reproduce again(1) (and can't say
I blame him!!) AAMOF, I suspect that his son and daughter-
in-law have also finished reproducing, as (at least) his
eldest grandson (offline, so I can't double check the
birthdates at the moment) is a teenager by now.  His
grandkids are a bit younger than mine, because his son
waited until he finished undergrad work (at least! That
James Bryant is a math professor) but mine are 13 and 17
(18 this month).

Lorraine Fletez-Brant wrote:
>When do we all move in?

Oh, probably in 5 or 15 years.  Remember, the acreage
is still under a taboo zoning.  It might take 6 months,
or 6 years (or Not In Our Lifetimes) to get it changed.
Then there's the time to build it.  If I know James,
it's not likely to be a quickie job.  The Bryants tend to
be quite long-lived, and plan well in advance for things.

I haven't any comments about the house design, as the
house I've been dreaming about for the past 30 years or
so is mainly underground (preferably in the side of a
hill or mountain), with a large, skylighted atrium-
slash-garden at the center.  So I haven't thought at
great length about the problems of above-ground
construction.

However, WRT James's plan, I must say that the herb
garden needs to be on the south side of the house.  I'm
quite sure he intends to grow hot peppers in it, and I
have grave doubts of their flourishing on the north side,
with no protecting wall, etc.  (Remember, James, the
garden in Newbury was surrounded on three sides
by buildings, and sheltered by trees and other greenery.
Not to mention the even more important problem of
sufficient insolation (though to my surprise, he was
able to grow them in Newbury).  One thing to his advantage
is that the winters in the south of England tend to be quite
mild (by the standards of a native Michigander).  Cool
summers and warm winters about sums it up.

(1) especially since I suspect he's starting to look
forward to the joys of great-grandparenthood.
---
Paula S