[LMB] OT: book recommendations

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:37:19 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Paula Lieberman wrote:
> There's a fat relatively new fantasy novel out by Sarah Zettel, A Sorcerer's
> Treason_, that has a feel something like Curse of Chalion though the setting
> etc. are quite differentl,

I've been trying to get through this one and keep getting stuck. Somehow
it isn't flowing for me yet. I'll give it one more try.

Do not under any circumstances read R. Garcia y Robertson's latest,
_Knight Errant_. His _The Spiral Dance_ was a wonderful mixture of fantasy
and history, but this one has a heroine so ditzy you want to kick her
around the room.

> there's Wheel of the Infinite by Martha Wells,
> now that -did- remind me very much of the Curse of Chalion and the religous
> system in it, though the characters and plot is quite different...

Wells' previous novel, _The Death of the Necromancer_ was wonderful -- a
mixture of sorcery, hidden motives and identities, a pseudo-late 19th
middle-European setting, and enough suspense to keep you turning pages til
3 a.m. If you liked Chalion, you'd like this one.

There's also _When the King Comes Here_ by Caroline Stevermer, a very
engrossing story of art and politics in a Renaissance fantasy world. I
liked it, particularly the authenticity of the artistic background, and
way a number of the characters strutted so well.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca / alayne at ncf.ca

"But we'll have to save it for everyone, right?" said Mr. Boggis. "Even foreigners?"
"Well, yes. You cannot just save the bits you like," said Lord Vetinari. "But the
thing about saving the world, gentlemen and ladies, is that it inevitably includes
whatever you happen to be standing on." -- Terry Pratchett, _The Last Hero_