[LMB] ImpMil Academy entrance testing (was Buttons, etc)

D Echelbarger bujoldjunkie at tds.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:53:38 -0600

Claudia Gruener said:
> in WA Miles tried to pass the
> entry test anonymously. So he
> was called "Kosigan".

If that's what the German translation says, the translator fell down on the job.

In the original (US English) text, it was a matter of policy for _all_ the Vor the candidates to be addressed without the honorific prefix, to prevent any appearance of favoritism.  A policy Miles mentally approved of his father implementing even as he bristled at it.

So Ivan, on some other part of the ground, was being called "Patril".  And Gregor, six years earlier, would've been called "Barra", if the rule was in place then.

I'd quote you textev, but I'm at work and my books are at home.

Diane E