[LMB] OT: sharing

Eric Oppen oppen at mycns.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:55:19 -0600

> > > Anyone else with interesting maladies to share??
> >
> > I'm trying to imagine a society that approves of sharing one's maladies.
>
> Once Upon A Time, dear listees
>
> There were diseases which it was Much Better to catch when young.
>
> So before there were immunisations for these diseases there were, I
> understand, chickenpox parties and such (maybe mumps for boys) to share
the
> malady round.

Immunizations for _chickenpox???_  Ye GODS!

*trying to wrap my mind around the idea*

I _have_ heard that there are people who believe that immunizations are
responsible for what is seen as a big upswing in autism.  If they're trying
to immunize children from _all_ childhood diseases, this could well _have_
unintended side-effects.

When I was a kid, when I got chickenpox, my mom bundled my baby bro into bed
with me to make sure he got it too so that we'd both be over it for good.