[LMB] Cyrillic Alphabet (WAS: Button makers, Vor monograms, Questions for Listmind)

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at Filker.Org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:55:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, James M. BRYANT, G4CLF wrote:

#Pat in North Carolina talks about the
#entwined VBK on Olivia's saddle.
#
#We must remember that Barrayar uses a
#MODIFIED Cyrillic alphabet. For starters
#today the Russian V looks like a Roman B,
#the Russian upper case B looks like a
#Roman lower case b and the Russian lower
#case B looks like 6. K is the same in both.

#I do not have time right now to go research
#again. Mark?

Well, I will try to make time on the weekend to work on my Pan-Barrayaran
Extended Cyrillic. Let's see, here... I use the standard Cyrillic for
those. The equivalent of "V" looks like capital B. The equivalent of
"K" looks like capital K, with the top branch given a slight s-curve like
an integral sign lying diagonally. The equivalent of "B" looks
like... draw a small-capital "D", full width but only half height. Extend
the left-hand stroke to full capital height, and attach to the top of it a
horizontal stroke going out full width to the right (like the top stroke
of a capital "F"). That's a Russian capital beh.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel