[LMB] OT: weather

Richard Macdonald rmacdonald at microd.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 05:22:29 -0500

I wrote:

> At 06:53 AM 7/12/2002, Meg Justus wrote:
> > > ~ Casey, guilty gardener
> >
> >Casey, I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't know about your robins, but ours
> >always looked like they were having a grand old time.  Slurp, slurp.
> >"hic-chirp, hic-chirp."  Thump.  Stagger.  Slurp some more.
> There are many creatures who get drunk regularly.... there have even been
> studies into the behavior of monkeys <ow>, though little is funnier than a
> drunk elephant trying to lean against a tree for support. They usually find
> ones that are a little to thin.

The best one I have heard about drunken animals was from a train
derailment in the northern Rockies that dumped many tons of corn. After
the cars had been recovered, the corn had been left where it fell and
after the rain fell it began to ferment.

One biologist observing the animals eating the fermented corn told about
a blotto Grizzly Bear that ate his way up to the top of the pile, then
stood on its hind legs bellowing and overbalanced, falling on its back
and sliding all the way back down the corn covered slope with its legs
waving in the air and roaring all the way.
--
Don Iain of Rannoch, OWST
Husband to Lady Elizabeth of Cranstone