[LMB] OT: sharing

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 09:51:46 -0500

At 21:45 12/06/2002 -0800, Khenta wrote:
>Peter H. Granzeau wrote:
>
> > Evidently chicken pox is not completely trivial, thus, the immunization
> > against it.  The virus (herpes zoster) also causes shingles.
>
>Chickenpox in adults has a 5% mortality rate. That's a LOT for a
>typical, trivial children's disease.

I can see why, when I had the chicken pox at age 5 (1940), that a large
yellow quarantine card was nailed to the wall of our house next to the
front door for two weeks.

A year after that, I had the mumps.  And a year later, I had the
measles.  And a year more, and I had the German measles.  I think I stopped
getting childhood diseases about then.  It was getting embarrassing (my
father was a doctor--although he went through a siege of pneumonia in 1942
himself).

>Getting chickenpox as an adult is bad enough. Coming to the hospital you
>work in (where a lot of immune-suppressed patients are) freshly
>diagnosed with chickenpox is a *very* *bad* idea. As I could witness
>just this week...

I take it this was someone else, not you?

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net