[LMB] OT: splitting coins and hairs

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 22:41:10 -0000

> From: Anton Sherwood <bronto at pobox.com>
> Date: 07 December 2002 17:39
[...]
> and because, at the retail level, shillings seem to have been
> effectively primary in Britain until recently (WW2?): one heard prices
> of "fifty shillings" - but, hm, maybe not "forty shillings"? I dunno.

Yes forty shillings was used, but so was two pounds

Someone found a pre-1914 catalog (Army and Navy stores or Harrods) which
had a price of "fifty shillings" and on the next page "two pounds ten
shillings" was used.

My mother thought in shillings, my grandmothers in pence, but that was just
inflation.

And for a real TMI story, one grandfather was reportedly able to estimate
the price of almost any retail item correctly, including ladies dresses !

So "I got such a bargain today."

"About six pounds nineteen and eleven."

"Uh, yes."

--