[LMB] OT: Other authors

Claudia Gruener thalia175 at yahoo.de
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:51:56 +0100 (CET)

I did read it two years ago and enjoyed it. I really love Vienna and was always interested in the late days of the Austrian Empire. Good study of the rise and decline of a family. Old Herr von Trotta saved the Kaisers life, is knighted- hence the "von"- and the grandson has to live up to this standard. He is pressed in a military career and is just not this kind of person.

  Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> hat geschrieben: The latest issue of The Economist includes a glowing review of a new
English translation of Joseph Roth's _The Radetzky March_. It sounds
very interesting; has anyone onlist read it, either in translation or
in the original, who would care to comment?

Jim Parish