[LMB] RE: Mike the New

Susan Profit tinne at eskimo.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:59:39 -0800 (PST)

Welcome, many of us on the list are long term science fiction readers,
but I admire someone who was able to read any of Lois' works in Analog.

Mike, of the versions of your name you gave two might be Hungarian. As
to the origin being a bit confused, my good friend Karsane Gisella is
the ex-wife of a man whose name was Turkish from the period when the
Ottomans had conquered the southern 2/3 of Hungary for 150 years
(along with many parts of the former Yugoslavia, Slovania,
Czechoslovakia, Poland, Albania and Bulgaria among others.) Karsa
means nothing in Hungarian, but she was told by her husband that it
had to do with a Turkish occupation.

Since I doubt your grandfather was a lady's maid, or being described
as being exceedingly stuffed, and the Hungarian word for Damascus is
nothing like your names, you might want to look at the possiblity of a
Turkish origin via any of the Slavic languages found in Central
Europe.

Regardless, there are other Brits on the list, and I hope you have the
chance to meet some of them in real life in your first Mini Lois Con
soon. :)

Susan in Seattle