[LMB] Re: Miscellany & Prince William

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:43:13 -0500 (EST)

The difference is that Barrayar is *not* a celebrity-obsessed culture.

And, if it were, I suspect you'd have ImpSec members descending on all of
Ekaterin's relatives indicating how poorly the Emperor would take it if
they sold their stories to vorHello! or vorOK! or vorHeat!

(If anyone hasn't actually seen these British magazines, they are
hilarious -- particularly the smarmy tone, the obsession with the least
doings of all the Royals and their obscure relatives, and the bizarre
photo shoots of "celebs", most of whom I've never heard of, showing off
their form-fitting clothes (female) and spiffed up houses. Best read
standing up in a magazine store -- which isn't hard to do given they're at
least 80% photos. Then you can go buy something with content, like an SF
magazine or The Atlantic or Linux Journal or Mother Jones or even Vanity Fair.)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Tracy MacShane wrote:
> Back on topic:
> ______
> From: carbonelle at juno.com [mailto:carbonelle at juno.com]
>
> ... got the impression (true? false?) that British women are gaga for
> Prince William, and tabloid photos and write ups on him are endemic.
> Since Gregor is easily more tasty, where were these holo-journalists
> during his unattached 20s and early 30s? After all, this is not merely a
> good-looking royal, but the honest-to goodness EMPEROR of an exotic
> barbarian planet. Where were the old Earth newsies at the very least?
> ----------
>
> It does seem to be true that the tabloids are pretty much into Prince
> William, since he is good-looking, rich, royal etc etc etc. However,
> Barrayar seems to be a more feudal and militaristic society than the
> modern UK, and thus royalty/aristocracy are at much more of a remove
> from the general population. I certainly believe that the modern royalty
> raking-over is very much a post-WWII phenomenon (perhaps with the
> exception of the Regency period), with the social levelling that has
> gone on in the UK in the 50 years since the war. A "real" British person
> might have a different opinion...?
>
> Still, our perspective in the books is given from the upper
> classes/royalty (Vor), the military, and the upper middle classes
> (Koudelkas) - not many tabloid readers in that bunch, even if the
> tabloids existed! I think paparazzi-type journalists would be too much of
> a security risk to be allowed anywhere near Gregor; in such a society,
> there probably would be strict control over the media. Or maybe Ma Kosti
> does takes her copy of the _VorHello_ into work occasionally, but is
> careful to stick it in one of the drawers when the family are roaming
> about... She'd make a mint if she ever decided to "sell her story"! And
> speaking of the _Hello_ phenomenon, can you imagine Cordelia escorting a
> society reporter around the house, burbling on about the lift tube and
> kitchens, before arranging herself on a couch in the library for an "in
> depth" interview and photoshoot? My hair curls at the thought!

Oh Gawd no. I really wonder why some of those would do things like sell
their wedding covferage to those mags. So cringe-worthy.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca / alayne at ncf.ca

"But we'll have to save it for everyone, right?" said Mr. Boggis. "Even foreigners?"
"Well, yes. You cannot just save the bits you like," said Lord Vetinari. "But the
thing about saving the world, gentlemen and ladies, is that it inevitably includes
whatever you happen to be standing on." -- Terry Pratchett, _The Last Hero_