[LMB] OT: Mecklenburg

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:02:07 -0500

At 07:01 PM 12/13/2002 -0800, Anton Sherwood wrote:
> > From: "Mike Damesick" <Mike at damesick.freeserve.co.uk>
> >
> > 'Gaudy Night' opens:
> > "Harriet Vane sat at her writing table and stared out into
> > Mecklenburg[1] Square.  The late tulips made a brave show ... ".
> >
> > [1] My NEL edition spells it this way, but the London A-to-Z agrees
> > with you.
>
>Either way, I'll bet it was named circa 1761.  Back then the English
>were more likely to have their own notions of spellings of German
>names.

Well, the Mecklenburg spelling was pretty solidly in use in English
Colony of North Carolina about then.  Charlotte, aka The Queen City, is
in Mecklenburg County, and one of the predecessors to the Declaration
of Independence was the Mecklenburg Resolves in 1774?  [Excuse me a sec
while I go Google some more.  Seventh grade North Carolina History was
a *long* time ago.] Eh, I was off a year.  It was May 31, 1775.  The
Lords Proprietors owned the Carolina Colony from March 24, 1663 until
the Crown bought the North and South Colonies in 1729 (the Colony was
split May 9, 1712)  Ah, here we are:

    "Love for a Queen  December 11, 1762

    From the western section of Anson County, a
    piece of land is set aside to form a new
    county. It is called Mecklenburg County, in
    honor of King George III's wife. Her name is
    Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Streliz, and
    the county is named for her homeland in Germany.
    Later, the city itself will be named for Queen
    Charlotte."

    Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library System
   http://www.cmstory.org/history/timeline/default.asp?tp=3&ev=26

Pat in North Carolina