[LMB] Re: OT: long hair

Paula S. Sanch tygerbryght at myrealbox.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:48:18 -0600

Ivy Yap wrote:

>Paula Sanch and Robert Parks have been talking about
>their long hair.  In principle, I am jealous as the
>longest my hair has been is halfway down my back
>before I get tired of dealing with it and chop it off.
> In practice, I remember how heavy the hair is, and
>how hard it is to wash and dry that much hair.  Maybe
>I just have a lot of hair.  Or not enough patience.

IIRC, Ivy, your hair is coarser than mine.  And, I think, about the
same density/thickness/whatever-you-call-it, which means that
your hair would weigh more than mine, for any given length.  Mine
is heavy enough.  I can see that as a persuasive deterrent.
Shampooing is a pain, and I doubt I'll ever go back to using a
separate conditioner (as opposed to the included kind).  Drying *is*
a lengthy process, fershure, and can be even more of a pain, even
if I use my blow dryer (which I rarely do, since I went on disability),
and I usually try to shampoo at night, so I can sleep with it spread
out across a bath towel, which I spread over my pillow (and down
to the floor under the headboard).

When it was this length before (mid-1960s), I mostly had it washed
and styled at a salon, and carefully preserved the styling for as
long as possible (several days).  After the second closed head
injury, I had a killer headache for 4.5 years, and I started cutting
on it after a month or so, as I recall.  When I stopped shortening it,
it was midway between my shoulder blades and my waist, and I kept
it in that range for some years.

Jason Bontrager responded to Ivy:

>Didn't Paula complain about back problems?  Maybe her hair
>is to blame...

Don't I wish it were that simple!  I slipped on icy steps one
morning when I was 15, and fell, hitting my spine at the waist
on the sharp edge of a cement step (wooden steps might have
done less damage).  Probably were some hairline fractures,
as the family doctor described an iridescent bruise larger than
a silver dollar when he came to the house that evening.
Today, I'd have been taken to the hospital when it happened.
45 years ago, I got up from the steps and went to school.*
It was only after I got home from school and was complaining
of the pain that my father called the doctor.

Besides, hair's not THAT heavy. :D

*OTOH, 45 years ago, medical treatment for that sort of
thing was, mmm, not as sophisticated as one would wish.  I
might well be better off as things turned out.  The practice
of medicine, and especially of surgery, has progressed
*greatly*.  Much of the progress, alas, is due to all that
doctors learned treating military personnel injured in Korea
and Vietnam.  This has been true for every major war in
which the U.S. has participated, beginning with the Civil War.
---
Paula S