[LMB] TTT review (OT:)

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:35:17 -0600

Casey Allison fretted:
>I do wonder, though, since I expect the books to simply enrich and
>backfill what I've seen in the movies, whether I could actually find
>myself... disappointed? let down? not fulfilled?... by the BOOKS. What
>would those of you
>who are devoted fans of both mediums predict?

I would be very surprised if you were. Tolkein's world is very rich,
and I find it hard to conceive of anyone liking the film(s) without
finding the books even better. In any case, I can think of a number of
film adaptations of print works which I saw before reading the
originals, and there's only one case[1] in which I thought the film was
better. The list includes a number of films that I greatly enjoyed,
so[2] I'd say the odds are in your favor.

[1] "Witness for the Prosecution". What can I say? I adore Charles
Laughton, and La Dietrich is just icing on the cake.

[2] Of course, it's risky generalizing from one person to another in
matters of taste, but, well, this is the only data I have.

Jim Parish