OT: Re: [LMB] TTT review (it's OK to hate Tolkien)

Royce Day Royce_Day at choicehotels.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:13:24 -0500

Azalais Malfoy wrote:

> I always have a feeling that Pratchett (and other people who are comedians
> first, storytellers second) builds his world around the jokes, and that
> turns me off.

Well, one of the potential difficulties is that the Disc is a fantasy world
where the people in it are at least sublimably aware that they *are* in a
fantasy world.  Witness the moment in "Guards, Guards!" where the Night Watch
is attempting to figure out just how hard a "million to one shot" would be,
because if it's a million to one shot you know it always succeeds...

If you can swallow that, they're actaully enjoyable.

--
-Royce in MD

"Oh, please.  Let me have just a little magic."
 -The Winter Warlock