[LMB] OT: Murphy's Rules, used to be TTT

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:30:24 -0800

 Louann Miller wrote:
> A friend of mine used to have a collection of weird gaming
> system rules, each illustrated with a cartoon.
<snip>

Right, we've got that.  My husband Karl had 4 of his suggested Murphy's
Rules get illustrated and included in that one.  (under his former name
Karl Dishaw, if anybody goes looking)

> The one that sticks with me after all this time is a rule
> where in some system, parrying with a sword vs. a dagger
> was an automatic success. <snip> "Oh, parry, parry, parry,
> parry, *yawn* parry, parry..."

I found one close to that - p25 - "In Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
(TSR), any attempt to parry is automatically successful."  Matches the
cartoon you describe.

> (And if anyone knows the book I'm talking about, please provide
> title and author so i've got a ghost of a chance of getting my own
copy.)

_Murphy's Rules_, Steve Jackson Games, ISBN 1-55634-363-9.  This is for
the Second Edition, 1998.

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.cgi?SJG9006 - they say it's out of
print, but have links for out of print dealers to help you find it.

While we're at it - on the "weird link of the day" type of thing, enjoy
http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/

Karl says they're still doing new Murphy's Rules cartoons for their
inhouse webzine.

Laura Gallagher