[LMB] Rhodan ot:

Claudia Muir claudia at bookcase.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:05:53 +0100

Claudia Gruener wrote:

>Pouncer wrote
>Popular books in Germany? Very good: comic books by a writer called Ralf
>Koenig

[snip Ralf Koenig]

Second that.  Although, I must say, that he wears off after some time (at
least, that happened to me).

>set in the American Old West written by Karl May that were astoundingly
>popular, but I don't think there are English translations to be easily
>found>>>
>
>Yes, Karl May, he wrote his books from 1890 to 1910 (roughly). And you
>notice how old they are (morals etc.) I read them as a kid and loved Old
>Shatterhand, the German cowboy. Don't laugh. I am serious! In "Winnetou"
>(the noble apache chieftain) movies from the fifties, Lex Barker was Old
>Shatterhand.

Oh, was I ever so smitten with Old Shatterhand.  I was seven and sure I'd
marry him when I grew up.  Or move to the West and fight with the noble
Indians.  Or something like that.

Well.

>Nowadays the movies are still popular, but most kids don't read his books.
>I was born 1969, and when I was fifteen one of our teachers asked in class
>about KM. Only two of us had ever read one of KMs books. My father's
>generation, oh yes, they did read it!

Hm, not sure I agree with that one.  I know plenty of people my age (1966)
who have read Karl May.  Maybe it's a fluke, though. I, of course, spent a
summer at the age of 12 reading all of his books, even the more obscure
ones.  (It was a long summer.  He wrote *lots* of books.)  I loved the ones
set in Arabia, for obvious reasons.  Although Karl May only ever traveled
to "his" countries after he wrote his novels, the geographic detail and
correctness of them are astonishing.  He described old Istanbul as if he
had lived there.  Of course, he was also plain nuts.  But that is another
story.

But in any case, Winnetou and Old Shatterhand are still known to every
child, I think.

Claudia Muir