[LMB] Karl May/ was Rhodan ot:

Claudia Gruener thalia175 at yahoo.de
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:02:29 +0100 (CET)

 Martin Gill <martin at martinsgill.co.uk> wrote:
> Claudia Muir Wrote:

[snip]

> Hm, not sure I agree with that one. I know plenty of people
> my age (1966)  who have read Karl May. >
> But in any case, Winnetou and Old Shatterhand are still known
> to every
> child, I think.

<<<I'll agree with that. I was born in 1976 and while I have never read any
of his books, I have seen all the Winnetou films, (there on a shelf
somewhere as well, I think).>>>

My point exactly, most Germans know Karl May movies, but do not read the books. Small wonder, they are hard to digest...high moraline  level. Still, I have his complete works on my shelf. Although,  I prefer his Arabian stories with Hadschi Halef Omar and of course the noble horse Rih...;-))

Usually his German heroes helped create a better world. They were true lightbearers with a very eurocentric attitude.(1) By the way, IIRC his Old Shatterhand was a small man like Miles! And yes, there are festivals, although Pierre Brice is no longer performing as Winnetou.

(1) I am playing devil's advocate here. KM was a child of his time and cannot deny it. His books are nice adventure stories and if a modern editor came down hard on all the 19th century stuff, he could still go down well with the majority.

Gesendet von http://mail.yahoo.de.
Weihnachts-Einkdufe ohne Stress! http://shopping.yahoo.de.