[LMB] Re:TTT stuff

Eric Oppen oppen at mycns.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 04:10:31 -0600

>  As to the Hobbit ages--I think Frodo's doe-eyed
>  look was meant to convey his "elvish quality".
>  He was rather different from the run-of-the-mill
>  hobbit. Still, IIRC, the ages ought to have run,
>  from eldest to youngest: Trim middle age (Frodo),
>  twenty-something (Merry), young twenties (Sam) and
>  teenager (Pippen).

OTOH, there were three strains of hobbit-blood:  Stoors, Fallohides and
Harfoots, and they weren't quite all alike.  The Fallohides, IIRC, were
vaguely elvish, the Harfoots were influenced in some ways by dwarves, and I
don't remember much about the Stoors other than that Smeagol/Gollum was born
as a "Stoor-type" halfling, far away from the Shire.

I think Frodo is intended to show almost pure Fallohide ancestry in the
movie; I disremember just what the Baggins line was like and they had mixed
many times in the Shire.

--Eric, who just got back from the midnight showing here in Iowa Falls.