[LMB] re: OT: What not to do in College Admissions

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham a.abraham at mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:08:30 -0600

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 08:55 AM, S. L. Casteel wrote:

> That's interesting -- this is the first time outside Rice that I've
> heard UH called that.  Is it a widespread appellation?

Mostly with my Aggie friends.  As I said, it's in a football context we
use it, the same times we talk of iTTech.

> Having taken courses both at UT-Austin and at the main campus of UH, I
> found them about equally intellectually challenging, at least as far
> as those individual courses went.  (The absolute easiest class I've
> ever taken was definitely the intro geography class at UT -- learned a
> lot, but didn't have to work very hard to do it.)  Can't speak for the
> curriculum as a whole.

I would imagine the general curriculums and courses are about the same.
  I'd suspect that Austin has more research opportunities, better grad
programs and somewhat more distinguished faculty, but in all cases it's
more about being better for top students than average ones.

Andrew