[LMB] Re: Good Kings was Bujold vs. Pratchett worldviews

John W. Braue, III braue at ratsnest.win.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:41:18 -0500

> Brian Hurt writes:
>
> > Given the discussion of Brin's article (I'm not 100% sure how
on-base he
> > is, but that's a different discussion), I feel compelled to
respond to
> > this.  Gregor is a 'good king' I think, in large part, due to the
fact
> > that he (and the Vorkosigans) are actually closet pro-democracy
> > constitutionalists.

I must beg to differ.  There are enough historical examples (and
Cordelia, her own political stance aside, would not have let Gregor be
ignorant of these) of democracy and constitutionalism getting started
through the action, good and bad, of various rulers, for Gregor to
pick and choose among them.  If Gregor *really* secretly hearkened for
(let us say as an example) a constitutional monarchy after the model
of the modern U.K., we'd see the signs.

Gregor is a "good king", but seems unwilling to institutionalize "good
lordship" as that phrase was understood (however incorrectly) in late
medieval England.  Perhaps this was an unconscious feeling that Aral
and Miles, if forced to take the throne, would continue his personally
liberal rule.  Perhaps he now expects to train up his sons to be good
rulers (although one wonders if Dorca and Ezar had the same
expectations about Yuri and Serg).  There's no indication, though,
that Gregor cares if any future Emperor will be a good ruler, even if
they don't wish to be.

John W. Braue, III
<braue at ratsnest.win.net>
www.win.net/ratsnest/log.htm
ICQ:  128233268  Yahoo:  Akatsukami

In proposing any plan, the question should be asked:  "Would I like
the outcome if the powers needed to implement this plan were placed in
the hands of my worst enemies?"  If the answer is "No", the plan is a
bad one.