[LMB] RE: LotR techniques - OT: again

Elly EllyJ at pandora.be
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:07:51 +0100

Shrinking the hobbits (and probably the dwarf too) was one of the techniques
used, among others. For example, a scene with both Gandalf and Bilbo in Bag
End was filmed twice. First using the actor that interacted with the
environment most, then the film was either shrunk (if Bilbo was filmed) or
enlarged (if Gandalf was), and then the other actor was filmed before a blue
screen. As told by the production team on the extended DVD. So in the scene
where Bilbo was dusting his bookshelves, or otherwise interacting with them,
with Gandalf looking on, Bilbo was filmed first in the large Bag End, and
Gandalf before a blue screen afterwards. The film with Bilbo was then shrunk
by computer, and put together with the film with Gandalf.

Elly