[LMB] Re: Good Kings was Bujold vs. Pratchett worldviews

John W. Braue, III braue at ratsnest.win.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:18:40 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elly" <EllyJ at pandora.be>
To: <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, 21 December, 2002 8:30
Subject: RE: [LMB] Re: Good Kings was Bujold vs. Pratchett worldviews

> >  What about poor Vormoncrief in ACC? He tried to win Ekaterin in
> > a clumsy way, and he meddled in political affairs. When this came
> > to Gregor's attentoon he was finally sent to Camp Permafrost.
[...]
> > This is what I would call following an imperial whim. There was
> > no trial, Alexi Vormoncrief was not heard in this matter.
>
> We do not see that Vormoncrief was heard. That does not mean he was
not. It
> was two weeks before Miles heard where Vormoncrief was posted next,
so that
> leaves ample time for a hearing by ones superior officer.

Note that we not only do not hear him heard, we do not see him
receiving quasi-judicial punishment.  Camp Permafrost has been a place
of exile for undesirables since Aral was an ensign, but I greatly
doubt that anyone has been *formally* sentenced to a tour of duty
there.  Contrariwise, it would be a very (classical-)liberal state
indeed where a trooper could sue his commanding officer (let alone his
commander-in-chief) on the theory that his post is secretly
punishment.

John W. Braue, III
<braue at ratsnest.win.net>
www.win.net/ratsnest/log.htm
ICQ:  128233268  Yahoo:  Akatsukami

In proposing any plan, the question should be asked:  "Would I like
the outcome if the powers needed to implement this plan were placed in
the hands of my worst enemies?"  If the answer is "No", the plan is a
bad one.