[LMB] Re: Good Kings was Bujold vs. Pratchett worldviews

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:59:03 -0000

> From: Claudia Gruener <thalia175 at yahoo.de>
[...]
 When this came to Gregor's attentoon he was finally sent to Camp
Permafrost. This is what I would call following an imperial whim. There was
no trial, Alexi Vormoncrief was not heard in this matter. Of course, I
sometimes dream of sending meddlesome people to a place of no return, too.
But I cannot. And I'm glad that I am living in a society where noone can.

Not "no return", just the rest of Vormoncrief's ten years. To adapt Miles,
they have to post someone there.

Hm, military officers who annoy their superiors are traditionally
transferred to remote outposts, FBI agents to Oklahoma, French Magistrates
to anywhere far from Paris or any large city. I suspect the German armed
forces and civil service have means of dealing with stupid and energetic
staff by posting them to somewhere remote and not too sensitive.

--
Little Egret