[LMB] Re: Winterfair Gifts

Paula S. Sanch tygerbryght at myrealbox.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 02:05:28 -0600

Vlatka wrote:

>Does any of this apply to the snippet as well?  I'll be able
>to post the first half of the raw translation quite soon, but
>don't want to offend anyone, least of all Lois. (Although I
>suspect she might get a good laugh out of it all.)

Okay.  I definitely misunderstood.  Sorry, all, and most
especially, sorry, Vlatka. :)

I read the snippet, and I think Vlatka must have done an
outstanding job, for it to sound almost like something
Lois might have written.  Thanks for your hard work,
Vlatka!

Further comments on translated manuscripts:
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to translation, and
how being put into a different language changes a text.  It
can be really weird, how much things change.

In addition, I'm currently reading Chaos and Harmony, by
Trinh Xuan Thuan (subtitled Perspectives on Scientific
Revolutions of the Twentieth Century).  It's written for the
non-scientist, and in many ways is a better read than The
Elegant Universe (though it is not the thorough treatment of
physics, cosmogony and cosmology that the latter has).
However, it was written in French, and it is fairly obvious
to me that the translator is not a native speaker of English,
nor is his mastery as idiomatic as he probably thinks.  To
cap it all, I'd bet the editor at Oxford University Press was
an English major, and not a science major.
---
Paula S