[LMB] Military & Society (was OT Men's responsibilities)

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:41:00 -0600

On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 10:02 PM, Damien Raphael wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:46:08PM -0600, David Snyder wrote:
>
>> forces.  Since the demise of the draft, Moskos notes that the officer
>> corps
>> has grown increasingly conservative compared to American society as a
>> whole.
>> Indeed, today's officer corps is almost uniformly Republican and
>> overwhelmingly conservative.  In contrast, Eisenhower never registered

Are they uniformly Republican or uniformly Conservative?  They aren't
necessarily the same thing.  For an extreme example, the Congressman on
the KAL007 flight was a Democrat and member of the John Birch Society.

Damien:
> Yeah, and stuff like that worries me.  Liberals stay out of the
> military, so the only mass with guns are the other side.  Waitaminute...
>
> All those Latin American military coups... did those tend to be
> volunteer or conscript militaries?

I suspect that the officer corps is voluntary, and they probably select
their troops to "follow orders".  I've never actually heard of a
conscripted officer corps, although it's quite possible I suppose.  Just
make it select out of all the people exempted by college...

>> today's officers know what the Newburgh Conspiracy was, let alone
>> recognize
>> the significance of it.
>
> What was it?
>
> -xx- Damien X-)

No offense, but when you come across terms like these, a quick Google
search tends to answer the question quickly, which both conceals your
ignorance of the subject and keeps other people from needing to reply.
Here's the link to the search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Newburgh%20Conspiracy

For a brief summary, some American officers asked Geo. Washington to
replace the Continental Congress and rule himself.  Luckily, he refused
them.

Andrew