[LMB] What Makes A Father in the Nexus

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes_charrel at yahoo.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:51:14 -0800

Damien Raphael <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> replied:
> The Betan insistence that a clone was the responsibility of its genetic
> progenitor always did seem kind off odd to me.

Michael R N Dolbear countered:

> The Betan rule is more complex  than that
>
> ===== [MD ch 12]
<snip>

> I infer that if a Betan orders a clone or other birth (with all licenses
> and permissions, including those of the provider(s) of the genes) that
> child is their responsibility, even if there is no genetic relationship.

We have another data point that seems to confirm your position in EoA
(Baen third printing, p191):

[Ethan] [...] began doing some serious shopping for legitimate
biological supply houses. [...] Beta Colony offered nineteen separate
sources, from purely commercial ventures to a government-sponsored gene
pool at Silica University stocked entorely by invited donations from
talented and gifted citizens."

I'd guess Cordelia assumed responsability of Mark because, in a weird
way, the Vorkosigan were responsible for his conception. But Galen was
his father, even if his conception was unlicensed and the providers of
the genes (Cordelia and Aral, since Miles was a minor by that time)
didn't authorize it.

Agnes