[LMB] [DI 3 spoilers] Wild Surmise

Richard Molpus rgmolpus at sff.net
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:42:35 -0600

-
t?

#1: Tissue typing would rule out grafting someone else's arms to create an "artificial" Quaddie; and
also rule out a quickie limb replacement to get new limbs to change fingerprints.

#2:  Quaddie space suits are made to fit Quaddie shape - to fit a Human in one you'ld have to lop off
the legs (releasing lots of blood) cauterize (do it quickly or they die of shock and blood loss), and
hope like hell. Better to stun them, cram the body into an emergency bubble, and move them that
way: in a pinch (sayeth J. Pournelle in an old essay) slap on a breather mask, put them in a big
plastic bag, seal the bag, and move _fast!_

#3 I direct you to Heinlien's "Gentlemen, Be seated" for one view of emergency Vacuum patching.
Quaddies are certainly familiar with such makeshift patching, and how to triage afterwards. Industrial
Medicine covers a wide range of medical maladies that "Normal" people don't suffer; When was the
last time YOU were at risk for Frostbite from Liquid N2?

#4: From Mirror Dance, a Cryoprep leaves blood and cryo-prep solution at the prep site. the simplest
forensic work would have ID'd the Cryo-prep fluids if they were there. However; since this wasn't a
Combat-Prep, the tech may have been less messy, but then why would any _blood_ have been left
behind?

#5: How competent is the Quaddie Police force? Do they have experience in real forensic
examinations? Crime Scene analysis? Roic should start noticing if the Quaddies are "Professional" in
their Crime Scene efforts: It'd have been a major part of his duties as an Armsman back home.

	This could be some fun for Miles: If he turns Roic loose on the airlock as a "Crime Scene" it'd
be an echo of having Bothari "Inspect" the Ariel back in WA. Bel will get a kick out of watching this -
S/He was there when Bothari made his rounds....

I haven't read the ARC, I'm extrapolating from the evidence at hand - checking the evidence at the
door, if you will.

_
_
_