[LMB] [DI 3 spoilers] Quaddie population

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:54:41 -0800

<snippage>
> > < growth rate >
>
> That being said, the starting population was pretty small.  1000 is
not
> a lot to base a society on, and they had all these uterine
replicators,
> they were engineered for early fertility, and (barring some of the
> stupidity we saw in FF), they were conditioned to accept the idea of
> reproduction outside of the nuclear family.  I'd bet that as soon as
> possible the quaddies started making more quaddies as fast as they
> could, just like creating habitats or farming

Ah, now this I wonder about.  DO they have all these uterine
replicators?  Was all the replicator work done on the station that
they later took away with them?  Or was it done in another facility?
I can see good arguments for both ways.  It would be good to have the
quaddie babies born in the no-grav environment they were going to live
in, and it would certainly simplify getting them to their
nurseries/creches.  On the other hand, that would mean you'd have to
get all the technicians running things into that environment.  Early
on that would probably have been standard humans.  I suppose it might
have been very practical for them to start teaching the older quaddie
children to care for the replicators as young as possible, but I don't
think they could have completely taken over - given that the oldest
were 20, and they'd stopped replicator births 5 years earlier, so even
at the very end the oldest quaddie children that could be given that
job were only 15.

Laura Gallagher