[LMB] armsmen as assistants (despoilered)

Alan Barclay gorilla at elaine.furryape.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:29:44 -0500

Quoting Scott Hofmann (shofmann at mindspring.com):
> I would expect comm-links that have a hot-line to ImpSec not to be commercial
> products - and I would similarly expect that ImpSec would have its own line of
> commlinks that wouldn't be found the commercial market. Miles, as an ImpSec

Most cell phones can be programmed to speed dial any number. A comm-link
may well be the same.

> Depending on the technology, you may not need repeaters. One way that US
> submarines communicate with their respective commands is through the use of an
> ultra-low-frequency transmitter located somewhere in the central USA
> (Wisconsin, I think) - it's very very slow, but it can transmit to any

ULF is used because it can penetrate water. If you want to transmit only
to the portions above ground, then shortwave would be fine, because it
bounces off the ionosphere.

However, I'd suspect that any world spanning communications would use
satellite repeaters. Iridium, but done right.