[LMB] Education (OT:)

David W. Levine dwl at panix.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:52:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Bart Kemper wrote:

> Which goes to our opinion there are four kinds of teachers:
>
> 1) Involved, clueless, troublesome
> 2) Involved, helpful
> 3) Uninvolved
> 4) Criminally incompetent
>
> I'm sure the last one can be added to the "types of parent" list.

Wince. Terribly true. One important life skill for a student is
dealing with these various sorts of teachers. Alas, the only
real way to deal with 4) is to change classes. Often not easy, sometimes
impossible, without heroic measures. My parents pulled me from
public school for a year when confronted with a combination of
a fourth grade teacher who fell into 4) and the principal of
the school who was equally bad. They spent the year I was in
private school navigating the district and school board
level maze to get us waivered into a different elementary
school in the same district.

- David