[LMB] OT: Education

Robert Parks rparks at lvhot.org
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:17:19 -0800

WaWenri at aol.com wrote:

> Teaching is extremely hard work. My wife teaches two classes of 4-year-olds.
> I have only taught at college level, usually CS for business majors which is
> much easier.
>
> In one class, instead of a final, I assigned a 2-4 page paper... One of the students,
> who had been carrying a "A" in class participation and quizzes, did not turn
> in the paper.  I contacted her and warned her that a 0% on the paper made an
> "F" on the course. She finally turned in two handwritten sheets on yellow 5x7
> notebook paper which I graded at 40%. This gave her a low "C" for the class.
>
> I still don't know what I should have done.  Comments?

I think that was fair, although I probably would not have given it 40%.
I think it is generally a Bad Idea to challenge a teacher After you have
been warned.  And no, I have never been a teacher, although I do light
mentoring of rookie bus drivers.

Robert Parks

--

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.