[LMB] Barrayar and Earth Studies

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 12:41:56 -0700

So I see Barrayar treating Earth as we do
>Greece
>and Rome, with a very established intellectual tradition formed around
>the studying of them.  So even after the end of the ToI it will remain a
>hallmark of scholarship to study Earth, as opposed to all these new
>fields.

Yes, indeed! Makes very good sense! And probably all the other worlds demand
it too, along with studying Classical English in college.

>[1] The big flaw: This all boils down to how much was lost in the ToI.
>Did they burn the books, figuratively?  Or just lose them.  We still
>don't know how far they fell, or if their recovery was spurred in anyway
>by discoveries of Firster resources.  In order for my idea to work the
>answer must be either "not far", which is unlikely, or "yes" to question
>#2, which is slightly moreso.  But neither is particularly high
>probability.

They probably shelved them and let a few useless cripples and elders  keep
them, and then had a Renaissance. Now, we KNOW the Ending of the Time of
Isolation was a Renaissance: was there one earlier that they were working on
when they were recontacted?