[LMB] [DI 3 spoilers] Wild Surmise

Lucy Chubb lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:13:41 +1100

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:50:44PM -0600, Andrew Lambdin-Abraham wrote:
> On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 07:13 PM, Lucy Chubb wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:10:10PM -0800, Janet Bruesselbach wrote:

> >>.
> >>.
> >>.
> >>
> >>If Lt. Solian left "a limb's worth" of blood, and downsiders would
> >>find it
> >>difficult to escape to other Quaddie stations unnoticed, then... Maybe
> >>Solian was amputated?  And his legs replaced with arms?  Maybe by
> >>choice,
> >>or maybe not...
>
> That's a wild theory, and quite inventive.  There's only one question:
> Why there?  It would be impossible to add new arms outside of an
> incredibly sophisticated hospital, so why perform the amputation in a
> shuttle bay?  Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Ah, that's where the cryo-chamber comes in.....

>                            If there was ever an organ that was made to
> be rejected, even assuming compatible blood types, it's an arm, I would
> think.

It's already been done with a hand (or arm, I can't remember which). There
was an article about it within the last year or so. A prisoner volunteered
to be the first recipient of a transplanted hand/arm. It worked and he
kept it for some time, but eventually decided to have it re-amputated
because it never felt like it was his own. He had to have immune suppressent
medication, but the limb wasn't rejected.

LucyC