[LMB] Liking Miles (was: But what about Miles' Trip?)

K Kuhn kknolte at ecity.net
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 20:26:49 -0600

Dolores Fortino wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2002 at 11:57, Amy Sikes Haskins wrote:
>
> > I mean, he does manage to get people to perform beyond their
> > wildest expectations, but he does so by manipulating them.  I've
> > become quite allergic to being manipulated.
>
> I don't know. To me, the idea of having my loved one be someone who
> managed to make me be more than myself, to perform beyond my wildest
> expectations, is so wildly appealing that I wouldn't mind the manipulation it
> took.

Hmm - what would you think about Svengali?  (Or whatever that tale was
about the guy who hypnotized a woman into becoming a great singer, when
she was hopeless unhypnotized).  Personally, I find it a rather creepy
story, despite my occasional wish that I could sing in public without
being asked to stop.

Hmm - Miles as Svengali.  Discuss (if anyone's read the book involved)

Karen