[LMB] Rabid Foaming Weasels OT:

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 18:45:43 -0800

Marna wrote:
> I startled someone recently by positing that one of the most
important things we
> as a society would have to do if we wanted to reduce the incidence
of
> child-molestation was to insist that our children be treated with
respect at all
> times.  ESPECIALLY when they are resisting us with all their might.
>
> ... and if, say, your pediatrician can't handle this, you need a new
> pediatrician.

Heh.  I may not have reached the ideal point of respect for
children... but I have ticked off the nurses at the pediatrician's
office pretty badly.  They'll try to give Brendan the "this won't hurt
a bit" line of nonsense.  I remember vivdly from childhood how much I
hated that.  I will not lie to him.  I then override them and tell
Brendan something about how this will hurt a bit/some/a lot
(depending), why we need to do it, and that I want him to try to be
brave please, it will be over soon, I'm here and we'll have a big hug
afterwards.  He doesn't have the language skills to get it all yet,
but I think it works pretty well given that.

The pediatrician is fine with this, which is why we've done some
insurance juggling to make sure we keep her.  The nurses get peeved,
but I think they can just deal with it.  No one's putting stitches,
shots, whatever into THEM, after all.

ObBujold: I tend to think in that situation it's a What Would Cordelia
Do kind of thing...

Laura G.