[LMB] Medieval fertility OT:

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:43:20 EST

In a message dated 2/3/02 10:22:53 PM Mountain Standard Time,
oppen at cnsinternet.com writes:

> Largely because men, more than women, are culturally expected to be able to
> find a sex partner, and those who can't are generally considered to not be
> masculine, or losers, or something.

-- this is quite true.  Our general expectation is that men, not women, will
take the initiative.

This corresponds to the _average_ of actual behavior quite well.  Eg., in
nearly 20 years as a singleton, I can recall exactly three instances of being
unambiguously hit on by a woman, vs. _hundreds_ of instances of the reverse
(many extremely tentative, of course).

This is one of the reasons monogamy is so restful, once one is past one's
adolescence.  No more rejection anxiety... 8-).