[LMB] OT: His Dark Materials trilogy

Kiri Aradia Morgan tiamat at tsoft.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:29:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Eric Oppen wrote:

> Has anybody else here read the _His Dark Materials_ books (_The Golden
> Compass/Northern Lights, _The Subtle Knife,_ _The Amber Spyglass_) by Philip
> Pullman?  I got into them via Harry Potter; people kept comparing these
> books to the HP books so I decided to go see what all the fuss was about.

It's one of my favorite series ever...

> she gave him her autograph."  Even at their young age (I'm not quite clear
> as to just how old the hero and heroine are---call it not-quite-adolescent
> at the beginning of the books) I'd rather have Lyra Silvertongue Belacqua
> and Will Parry on my side and at my back in a dark, dangerous, scary place
> than almost all of the chronological adults I've ever met.  Hell, they'd
> probably be taking care of _me!_

Absolutely.

> I should warn those who haven't read it that the view the trilogy takes of
> the Divine, Heaven and so on is not at all standard---I would call it
> Gnostic.

It borders on the Luciferian in places.  I like it a lot.

> So, fellow listies---have you read these books?  If so, what do you think?
>
> ObBujold thought: Lyra Belacqua teaming up with Young Miles when he was
> about her age...be afraid, Bothari.  Be _very_ afraid, Jordan College,
> Oxford!  Apart, either of them would be a menace.  Combine them, and watch
> out, worlds!

I don't really like crossovers, but that would be amazing, yes.

Kiri
Kiri Aradia Morgan                                  93!  Thou Art God
tiamat at tsoft.com

"If time passes, everything turns into beauty
If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away
Everything starts wearing fresh colors
Every sound begins playing a heartfelt melody
Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic
Desire is embraced in a dream..."              -- X-JAPAN